Friday, August 1, 2008

Who Am I?

I am a single, 37 year old woman. I have a career that I've worked toward for 15 years, including earning a Ph.D. It's been worth it (I love what I do). From the ages of 20 to 33, I had 3 monogamous relationships with men, each with no more than 4 months between them. The last relationship was the most "significant;" we spoke of marriage and lived together. During that time, I was in graduate school. When I won a 12-month fellowship to do research for my dissertation in Europe, I thought the relationship was strong enough to take it. For my part, I felt this man was the love of my life. However, while I was gone, my boyfriend fell in love with another woman. It has been almost 6 years since that heart-wrenching break-up. I have not had a significant relationship since then. I would not change the choices I have made (obviously career fulfillment has been a driving force in my life), but now that I'm ready to "settle down," I find that my peer males are mostly taken. The fish in the sea have become a shallow pool...or rather, a puddle. I find myself searching for ways to have a family on my own. I am still not sure what the best option for me might be.

Addendum! Using my wonderful known donor, I found myself pregnant on the very first try (June 2009). Now embarking on the wild ride that is pregnancy.

Hi guys, June 2013 here. I'm now...42. And my son is 3.3 years old. 

1 comment:

Demeter said...

I just bumped into your blog and I am so glad for you, I hope your pregnancy is as beautiful as mine. Glad you took the plunge to do it with or without a man. I am too in a known donor situation, so we have similarities. I wish you luck on your wonderful journey.