Tuesday, August 5, 2008

All That She Wants

This blog will plot my quest for a family, with or without a man.

I am a 37 year old, professional woman. Attractive, happy, active, very well educated; in fact, a holder of the coveted "PhD" that so many of us sacrifice our 20s and 30s to achieve. I'm exactly where I want to be with my career and
then some. I get to buy, exhibit, and teach about art. It's my passion, and my life centers around my job and the people I have met through it.

After three monogamous relationships of 4, 4, and 5 years each in my 20s, I found my self single again--heartbreakingly, painfully--at the age of 32. With just one year to go before completing my PhD, I moved across the country from southern California to New York to take a fellowship and then go on the job market. I now find myself (after yet another move to a medium-size city in the Northeast) 3 years in to a job I love.

But no man. It's been 5 years now, and I have never gone this long without a relationship. It's not for lack of trying. You name it, I've done it. Especially the internet. Call it what you will--bad luck, or a very very shallow pool of qualified "applicants"-- I'm still single, and the clock is ticking.

Having a child is something about which I will not compromise. With or without a man. I will be considering adoption, IVF, and "the natural way" with one or two candidates (whom I have yet to approach). As a single woman, I expect to meet great challenges and difficulties in the next few years as I go on this quest.

No comments: