Thursday, January 1, 2009

7 Things

I got tagged by MeAndBaby. This is good: I've been very unmotivated lately to blog. There's a lot going on my head, and for some reason I can't seem to get it out. I'm kind of in a don't-deal-with-it phase, I guess.

So...here goes. 7 unusual things about me.

1. I lived in Antwerp, Belgium for a year. This was while I was doing research for my dissertation. Every day, I walked about 1/4 mile to a beautiful 16th century museum and did research in the archives there. I love Belgium although it was very difficult to make friends there (with Belgians): I made a lot of foreigner friends. The month before I left, I tried one chocolate truffle per day to choose the best one (I chose it, if anyone is interested!)

2. I didn't grow hair until I was 2-1/2! Seriously! Only peach fuzz til then. (I'm hoping this means my hair will stay around for a really long time). I also had a wandering eye that was fixed by surgery at age 2. I like to think I was a charmingly cute baby. :)

3. I was the valedictorian of my high school class. It was very dramatic because it was a surprise. I kind of edged out the girl who everyone had assumed would be valedictorian for 4 years. At the time, I liked to fancy myself the smart-girl-who-also-partied, so after that my cover was completely blown. I would go to graduation parties, the room would go silent, and someone would say "Ohhhhh, the valedictoooooooorian is here. Everyone behave."

4. I love to backpack and have taken several somewhat death-defying 'backcountry' trips. I know this isn't really that unusual, but I do get raised eyebrows when I tell people. I'm somewhat girly-looking and people get confused.

5. My favorite vegetable by far is brussel sprouts. I have them at least once, but sometimes multiple times per week. I have no idea whether this has anything to do with my stay in Belgium. Perhaps.

6. I'm ridiculously organized and I'm never late (even when I try to be). At the same time, no one has ever described me as Type A (my condo is usually a mess). I'm a weird hybrid.

7. I'm a sucker for really sentimental, moody types of music, like Col.dplay, Kate B.ush, Joni Mi.tchell, that kind of thing (but then again, I've been known to jam out to the truly un-sentimental PJ Ha.rvey).

And I'm going to tag our SMC blogging newbie, Rachael at SMCDownUnder. You're it!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have that problem too - ridiculously organized and never late (I can really never understand why anyone is late), but my condo is a disaster area.

Dora said...

Of course we want to know the best truffle. BTW, I love brussel sprouts, too.

Billy said...

Regarding #2 - I am on the reverse side of you, was born with a mass of hair and as an infant had such thick hair that people used to ask my mother if it's a wig. But.. exactly like you, I always thought it meant I won't easily lose my hair..



[p.s - was actually thinking the last few days of posting some pics..]

Anonymous said...

tell me the truffels and do you Know Novastar? He is belgian and moody...

http://www.myspace.com/novastaremi

mijk (not belgian but dutch ;)